Street Maintenance Worker
Apply by Deadlines: Open until filled
Starting Salary: $$28,356
The Town of Louisburg is seeking a Street Maintenance Worker. Come join us as the newest member of the Street Maintenance Team. Employees in this class perform manual labor involving the collection and disposal of debris and leaves and the mowing and cutting of street right-of-ways, and other Town owned properties.
Please Note: This is an essential position which means you are expected to report to work as usual when the Town is closed due to inclement weather or when called in to work emergency overtime.
Essential Duties and tasks
- Works as a member of a debris or leaf collection crew in an assigned area of the Town and as a crew member mowing assigned areas of Town.
- Rides or drives a truck on a designated route to collect debris; empties refuse containers into a trash truck; assists in emptying the load at the appropriate location.
- Works on a crew to collect and dispose of yard waste; feed limbs into a chipper; and cleans up the street area where working.
- Works on a crew to collect furniture, appliances and other items from the curbside; lifts heavy materials into the bed of a truck.
- Assists in washing and cleaning of trucks or equipment assigned to the crew.
- Maintains a good relationship with the public through respect to an individual’s property.
Additional Job Duties
- Assist other Town crews as needed.
- Performs related duties as required by the Town.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the methods and techniques applied in the loading and unloading of debris and leaves along an assigned route.
- Some knowledge of the Town’s Trash Collection Regulations and Routes.
- Some knowledge of the occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions of street work.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to cooperate and work as a team member in carrying out assignments correctly and in a timely manner.
Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and have the ability to perform repetitive motions.
Must be able to perform very heavy work exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds constantly.
Must possess the visual acuity to operate equipment and distinguish safety hazards which may affect self and others.
Desirable Training and Experience
Any combination of experience and education which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the job.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
- Able to obtain a minimum of a Class B CDL North Carolina Driver’s License within six (6) months of the hire date.
- Must wear steel toed boots or shoes while working.
The Town of Louisburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.